Monday, December 31, 2012

KIMCHI WITH ENDIVE AND CARROTS


 

One of my very favorite, favorite recipes from my experience at Matthew Kenney Weekend Intensive was the Kimchi Dumplings.  The flavor is so fabulous my mouth waters every time I think about it.   I am sad that I have not been able to purchase the larger dehydrator I need to make the dumpling skins as of yet, but I wanted to taste that filling again.  So, I decided to make the filling anyways to eat with my favorite veggies.  To start I need to make the kimchi.  I tweaked the recipe slightly to make it my own and it came out tasting very savory.  So easy and simple.

Some people may be afraid to ferment food at home, but it really isn't hard and it's really very simple.  I just love the colors of these combinations of these vegetables.

KIMCHI WITH ENDIVES AND CARROTS

2 cups endive
2 carrots cut into matchsticks
1/2 teaspoon salt

SEASONING PASTE

1/4 green or yellow bell pepper chopped
1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated or finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh green onions, finely chopped
1-1/2 teaspoon dried red chilli pepper flakes (add more if you like it spicy)
2 teaspoons agave
1/2 tablespoon salt



Wash the endives leaves thoroughly and tear into small pieces.  Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon salt onto the leaves and let it sit.  Water wills tart to release from the leave to make a brine.

Create a seasoning paste with the remaining salt, bell pepper, scallions, garlic, ginger, dried chilli flakes, agave and salt.  Using a mortar and pestle or mini prep combine all these ingredients together.  I used a mini prep.  In a large bowl combine the endive and the seasoning paste together and mix by hand making sure all the leaves are covered with the seasoning. It may be a good idea to put on gloves.  Because of the salted seasoning, the leaves will release moisture and this creates the brine.

Transfer the mixture into a glass container (a large mason jar with an airtight lid) and use firm pressure with your hands to push down on the leaves as they stack up inside the jar.  Transfer any and all liquid that accumulated during the mixing process into the jar as well.  It will become the kimchi brine.  The vegetable mixture should be completely covered by the brine.

Leave about two inches of room at the top of the jar before capping it tightly with a lid.  Allow the jar of kimchi to sit at room temperature for two to three days. 

Store outside of the refrigerator, on a shelf, out of the sunlight to ferment.  What I learned from my class at The Matthew Kenney Academy is that kimchi is an example of Anaerobic Fermentation - fermentation in the absence of air - which is why it is important to cover the cabbage with the brine.  This promotes the presence of Lactic Acid Bacteria growth.  The refrigerator would stall the growth of good bacteria and fermentation.

You should "burp" your kimchi after 24 hours to release some of the pressure from fermentation.  After 2-3 days your kimchi is ready to eat.

Kimchi can be stored in the brine but is best drained before use.  The refrigerated kimchi will continue to ferment slowly and over time, becoming more sour and flavorful with each day.  And always use clean utensils when dipping into your kimchi.

Enjoy!



Later on I'll share a recipe using the kimchi that really makes my mouth water!

Join the discussion!


Do you have a favorite kimchi recipe? We would love to hear what it is! Share it in the comments below. Links are welcome.
 
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...